Monday, November 10, 2008

Jesus and basketball

So, what if following after the Lord was more like playing basketball?  For those of you who have no athletic background this post might not make sense at all.  However, if there is something that you've invested much time in in order to improve to a certain level be it sports or not, you should understand.  

Since my Sunday afternoon basketball experience I've been thinking back to my own athletic years growing up.  I was trained.  I was drilled.  I was challenged.  I improved.  If I was not constantly improving, there was no one to blame but me.  I was responsible for my own playing ability.  I knew what to do when I got the ball.  Either go towards the goal and automatically be looking for someone to pass the ball towards.  Your eyes were always scanning for who was open or an open spot to get to the goal.  You dribble in such a way to keep the ball away from the defender.  Then of course as the defender the point was to get the ball or simply keep them away from their goal. 

Everyday in practice we worked on ways to get the ball to the goal and ways to keep the other team from getting to their goal.  We had game plans.  We practiced our tactics on each other.  We corrected and redid it when we did it wrong.  Everyday you practiced the basics.  Free throws, layups, jump shots, and of course running.  Those were things that you would do in every game played so those were drilled into us daily.  If you struggled with one more than the other you would practice that even more.  

Back to Jesus.  Why don't we drill ourselves with God's word?  What are our everyday practices that we do to prepare for the daily battle we face?  If there is a particular area you struggle in do you do more in that area?  Do you have people willing to tell you when you're wrong and to repent?  Do you have people who will practice this thing called faith with you?  What don't our churches look more like basketball teams?  

When those girls were on that court on Sunday that was all that mattered at that moment?  People were watching them but they weren't concerned with that.  There were kids that went home that day I'm sure to practice like one of their favorite Lady Vol players.  What if our church looked like that?  When we're in worship that's all that matters, entering into God's presence.  People watch us but that doesn't matter.  What if people walked away from being near us and wanted to mimic what they say in us...  The Jesus they saw in us?  

I think there's something to the way sports work.  There's something to sharing a common goal.  They want to win.  They will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.  Why can't our churches see the common goal?  To run the race...  Living out the things of the Lord...  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control?  

Just my random thoughts on Jesus and basketball.  

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I love a good sports analogy first thing in the morning. I didn't know you balled in high school. So did I. I was the best bench warmer around.

Anonymous said...

Sis,
How very cool.....You always find the right words. Love you, Mama