Monday, February 8, 2010

Craft time

About a month or so ago I had a couple of little boys very seriously tell me something on the way to church. "Miss Lindsey, we need a bunk bed for our room." Then we discussed it for a minute since they had one but they got tired of it. Plus it was falling apart. They decided they wanted another one. I said okay I would see what I could do.

I started looking on craigslist to see what I could find used. Then I had an idea.

What about a loft bed?

Turns out those are more costly than just a bunk bed.

Of course by this time I am convinced that these boys NEED loft beds.

How do you pay for something you can't completely afford?

You make it!

That's what I decided. Found a place online where I could order plans plus four post and bolts that would be needed for the project. Placed the order than I called for backup.

While building my house I learned to do a few things in the woodworking area but not near enough to accomplish this task alone.

It's been over a month now and the beds are still not completely complete! I am drawing close to what I called the, "I'm over it" phase. I got one of the beds stained tonight but will have to do a little more on it tomorrow. Plus I still have another whole bed to stain. Tomorrow I will let the boys see them for the first time. Can't wait to see their reactions. Hopefully they like them!

Enjoy the pictures below!




Desk and shelf


Desk goes up to allow more room for play!


Looks a little purple in the picture but is really blue!


Second bed still left to stain!



6 comments:

justcallmerie said...

Lindsey, i know those boys and I know they will love them!

Thank you for loving them so much and being there for them. It warms my heart knowing what you mean to my family who is so far from us - makes you family, but you already knew that.

Beds look great - maybe I'll ask Gregg is he has a job for you!

love ya, rie

Anonymous said...

Wow, they look great!
Love ya, mama

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Want me to send you my project list?? Ha! Fabulous job! Love ya!

Penny said...

If those 2 boys will ever put up there laundry, they can get in the van and come see this bed!!! If they only knew why they needed to go to camp, I am sure they would get busy with the socks!

Lindsey said...

Rie- yes I sure do love those kids and the whole fam a bunch!

Mama- Pretty sure Ty might need one of these one day!

Penny- boys + socks = not good. I've seen them in action!

The boys saw the beds and I think they're going to enjoy them!

Lucy said...

You do it, Bob Vila.