Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Car shopping

Car shopping. Due to some mechanical issues with my current car I needed to get another one. I did not think this would be too difficult. A good friend of mine took me in as one of his kids to make sure I saw lots of different cars and didn't get taken advantage of. Over the past month I have driven a million cars. Okay, maybe not a million but a bunch!

The question you first hear when you go to a car lot...

What are you looking for!


*Please disregard if you find this analogy insensitive as it is not written with an insensitive spirit.

That question to me (What are you looking for?) is much like asking Stevie Wonder what's your favorite color? He's blind does he really have one?

I had absolutely, positively NOOOOOOOOO IDEA!!! What I was looking for.

I knew what I wanted.

1. Cheap (used or new)
2. carries lots of people and stuff
3. good APR
4. good gas mileage
5. good ground clearance
6. good ratings
7. warranty of some sort

Problem?

1. nothing is cheap.
2. in order to carry people and stuff you sacrifice MPG
3. APR's were all different
4. ground clearance again involves the mileage issue. higher off the ground worse the mileage.
5. ratings are subjective
6. warranties cost more money!

Stupid car shopping.

That's what I went to bed thinking almost nightly for a month.

Keep in mind it's WINTER!

WINTER = COLD

WINTER = RAIN/SLEET/SNOW

This is what I went car shopping in. The most comical was perhaps this past weekend where we did drive through car shopping. We would see a car. Go park next to it and wait until the salesman came out so I could simply ask questions while sitting in the car rather than standing in the cold asking questions.

I decided it was enough. Found one last Saturday I liked. Went today and drove it home. Pretty excited I have this task complete! Sure do hate to make big decisions like this but I do not want to vomit yet and I purchased the car around 3:30 this afternoon so this is a good sign. Immediate vomiting urges after major decisions are never good.

The look of my new car is not the purdiest car in the world. Makes me think of a little movie clip. I can get 70 miles to the gallon on this hog.

It's functional and meets most of my odd set of criteria. Good price. Good APR. Holds 4 adults pretty comfy. Lots cargo space. Good gas mileage.

Meet my new to me car 2007 HHR!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!!!!

justcallmerie said...

Delia's car shopping, too. Maybe y'all should have done it together.

Okay, maybe not.

Lucy said...

I always hated dealing with salesmen. Why the crap do you need to know my credit score before you can tell me how much a car costs? And do I really need to know about your divorce?

Sheesh.