Monday, February 9, 2009

Wants and Want Nots

I apologize Ms. Seiring because I don't actually know if it's proper to use the phrase want nots. Maybe when you're done reading this it will make more contextual sense even if it fails in grammatical strength.  

Today the weather was really warm here in Southeast TN so before I headed over to my normal dinner place I took a walk around the lake.  Here's a little glimpse of the thought process that occurred during this stretching of my legs.

There are a lot of things in life I want to do.  Equally as lengthy is the list of things I want NOT to do.  Oddly as it seems most all of those things are intricately connected.  

Follow me for just a minute...

I don't want to clean my house and straighten up everyday.  It doesn't directly affect my life if I have 3 pairs of shoes by my couch.  I don't want to spend time EVERYDAY sorting and sprucing up things around my house.  

HOWEVER, I do want to have a home that's always available to have guest.  Since I do not want people in my house when it is not clean.  I do enjoy the peacefulness of a clean house that seems to be there.

It seems that in order to get what I ultimately want...  A home prepared to host any one who might stop by.  I have to do little things everyday that I don't want.  Dang it.

I don't want to gain back all the weight I lost in recent years.  I much prefer the healthier me.  I don't want to have to buy new clothes because my other ones aren't as comfy as they once were.
I don't want to put back the double stuffed Oreos from my shopping cart.  I don't want to have to restrict what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat.  I'm not much for restrictions of any sort.

HOWEVER, I do want to have a healthy body that supports God's word that says man does not live on bread alone but on every word the proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.  I do want to look and feel good.  

It seems in order to get what I ultimately want...  A body that is God's temple.  I have to do little things everyday I don't want to do!  Dang it, again!

I don't want to have to track every penny I spend.  

HOWEVER, I do want to be able to give and spend as the Lord leads me to do especially to further His Kingdom.

It seems in order to get what I ultimately want...  Finances available to the Lord.  I have to do little things everyday I don't want to do!  Dang it, still with the want nots!

I've never been one to do things I don't want to do.  Just ask my mom and dad!  :)  I think God's out to prove me wrong about my theories of always doing what I want.  While trying to wrap my thoughts more around His desires for me.  Forgetting the want and want nots and leaning more towards obedience and disobedience. 

I desire to be obedient to the Lord and His word.  Thus, any form of disobedience must be removed.  As good ole John says...  More of Him and less of me.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we can live with the term "want nots" as it seems scriptural. Anyway, I've heard much worse terms.