Monday, February 23, 2009

Good question.


Sunday night I got to speak to a group of kiddos who were learning about missionaries.  Initially they were a little disappointed with me because they were studying the process of it.  The appointment, going to Virginia and all those sort of things people who work for the North American Mission Board do.  I had to explain that I was appointed by the Lord to come here so after I graduated from college with my car still packed up I moved from Texas to serve here.  

I said something funny a little later which made us all friends again, but I don't remember what it was.  They had some questions to ask then I shared about what I do and of course we made some salvation bracelets!  Then we talked a little about Psalm 27:11 being the ultimate prayer!  And that since we are all called to be missionaries for Christ that would be the most important prayer from scripture they could be praying 24/7.

One of the kiddos ask this question.

What's the hardest part about being a missionary?

I looked at him and I said, "Do you really want to know?"  He replied, "Yes."

So, I told him.

I said about 30 minutes ago I got a phone call from my 4 year old nephew.  He wanted to know when Sissy was coming to home to see him?  

I love that Ty is old enough to talk on the phone.  Well, I use the phrase talk loosely because most of the conversation he's doing what my brother has always done...  "Huh?"  Huh, is about every other word.  Then he'll go "Sissy, what'd you say?"  

His opening line is always great because he's a child with such an adult personality.  

Nine times out of ten his first words when I say hello will be 

"Hey"  

I say hey.

Followed up with "wha are you doin?"  

The best conversations are when you mention something about driving.  Those questions are always followed by where you are going?  wha are you doing there?  What kind of car are you driving?  Is it four wheel drive?  Does it have a hitch (if it's a truck)?  

You know all those important questions 4 year old ask!  

It's hilarious.  

Then after a bit, in similar fashion to my brother.  

ok, sissy I gotta go.  Love you.

I might be in the middle of a sentence but when he's ready to get off, he's gone.

He called again today to tell me they were going to look at a truck and he told me about how his daddy's work truck did not have a hitch on it.  I ask if he was with his Ed Ed he said, "Oh yeah. And I brought my Nana with me too."  

Mom said that was accurate he made her come along for the ride.  As if she put up much of a fight!  :)  

I told Ty I'd be home to see him in March.  I hear him move the phone around.  Then I hear him say, "Nana when is March?"  She said next week and I had to quickly tell him I wouldn't be there next week but it wouldn't be too long after that!

He's precious.  They say Ainsley is making a great new face now too!  I can't wait to see them in March, just not next week of March.  




No comments: