Saturday, January 29, 2011

Haiti #1: Who, what, when, where and why of Haiti

Since high school I can remember having a desire to go on an international mission trip. I didn't really know anyone who had ever been, but I knew it was something that would be part of my life. A few years ago I was able to go to Egypt and it was a great experience. Traveling across the world by myself was a little tough, but still awesome. Especially my spur of the moment bus trip into Paris. Anyways... Back to Haiti.

For several years I have looked off and on for another mission trip to go on. It had been a long time since I could remember sitting down to search for a trip online before this past September. Summer had come to a close and I was landing from that ride when I spent one evening looking up a possible trip. I knew my schedule was soon to slow down and I felt the desire to go... That night it had also been awhile since I had had uninterrupted time with the Lord so I turned off all electronics and spent time with Him. Later that night is when I turned on the computer to look for a trip. In my search I found two different trips with groups I knew people had had good experiences with.

One trip was to Haiti and one was to Africa. The Africa one cost ALOT more money, but I've always wanted to go to Africa. I was torn. Money wasn't an issue. Not because I have a large amount, but because God has never not provided for me. I knew He would. I turned off the computer and got back to His word. Somehow I ended up on Psalm 46. You should go read it. I will tell you the verse where I knew I was being told where to go...

Psalm 46:1-3 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at is swelling."

Haiti had be ravished by an earthquake (vs. 2)! All they have left is to know that God is their refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (vs.1). I knew I was going to Haiti at that moment. Then came the flood of questions of how, when, why, etc...

I got off the computer and turned my phone back on to which I had a voicemail. It was the voice of a summer missionary who has turned into an amazing friend. She was leading worship for her church that night and decided to sing one of her songs for me. Since I didn't answer she left a voicemail. She was singing "Our God" by Chris Tomlin.





I wept as I heard her singing because again I knew God was answering my questions of how in the world I would go on this trip and why I would go. I would go because our God is greater! And I felt that I was going to encourage Haiti to look to our great God! I cried alot that night because I knew the Lord had spoken to me. And I cried because I knew I was going on an international trip which was a long standing request I had made to the Lord. This all happened the beginning of September...

No comments: