Saturday, January 29, 2011

Haiti #2: Pre-trip dramatics

Refer to previous post of Haiti #1 prior to reading this one.

So, I know I'm going to Haiti. I don't remember the exact timeline of everything but I remember not telling many people at all at first. I'm pretty sure I paid for the trip before I told hardly anyone. Then I had to get shots, shots, and more shots. A physical so I could say I had a doctor since I never go to one. All I kept thinking was this is getting pricey! Then I would have a random person from here and there hand me cash which oddly enough seemed to pay the bill that I held in my other hand. Between what I had in savings and other money God provided the trip was paid for.

Then comes the cholera in Haiti.

Not good...

Then come the riots in Haiti.

Again, not good.

Oh and did I mention I started a new job during all this process too at the Boys and Girls Club. Originally had trip scheduled for November, but backed it up to December because of new job. Just in time for the riots to get good and heavy! That change in date made my plane ticket go from 350 up to $800. Awesome.

One day I thought who would have ever believed it would be safer to go to Africa...

I was questioning the Lord about this trip one day and I went back to Psalm 46 where He spoke again.

Psalm 46:6-9a "The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. The Lord of hosts is with us: the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah. Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth: he breaks the bow and shatters the spear: he burns the chariots with fire. Be still and know that I am God..."

He makes wars to cease. It didn't matter that a couple of weeks prior to my departure, flights were cancelled because of war. I was still suppose to go.

I planned it to where I left for Texas on December 19-26. The 26th I flew back to Atlanta and changed my bags that were already packed in my car. Spent the night in Atlanta and got up early Monday morning December 27th the fly to Haiti.

So, I am packing for two weeks going to two totally different places on Dec. 17. My house was destroyed!




And I can't find my passport.

I thought it was in a certain spot earlier in the week. I think I kept avoiding looking for it because I had no idea what I would do if I couldn't find it. Wednesday I looked where I thought it should be. It was not there. That's okay it's probably in my office. Thursday revealed it was not in my office. Oh crap! The secretary at camp even went through my office too. No luck. I'll find it. There is one more place it could be in my house. Friday night revealed it was not there either. OH CRAP!!

Late Friday night or should I say early Saturday morning I go to bed with tears in my eyes. I said okay God if I haven't found it by tomorrow at lunch I will email and tell them I cannot make it on this trip. Saturday morning I search my entire house AGAIN!

In a wicker box next to my TV was a stack of Southern Living Magazines. In the middle of that stack of magazines I found my passport. First thought? Who in the world put that there??

Whew passport found. Rejoicing was heard throughout my house! I finished packing that day for both trips. Two bags, two carry ons, two different trips.

Sang with the choir for Christmas Sunday morning and headed to Atlanta then Texas on Monday morning.

Tuesday got up and started calling around because I still don't have my Malaria pills or the 47 other pills and precautionary things my dear sweet mom wanted me to have. They can't get me an appointment until the next day and it's in Dallas, ugh. Wednesday I load up my niece and nephew and we venture to Dallas! What a fun day.

Get back that night and the company I am going with sends out an email that basically says... Hey things are still unsafe in Haiti so if you want to cancel your trip please feel free to do so for a full refund. What?? Sorry, but no I didn't inform my family of this one. I had to pray about this. At this point I am still concerned too because it's just dangerous. I feel the Lord use Psalm 46:10 again for me to be still and know that He is God. And I remember a video shared by another sweet and wonderful friend of mine and thought about a little boy named Hudson.

Friday night my brother calls and said, "Sis you need to check the weather in Atlanta, I just heard they are canceling flights." I was suppose to fly out on Sunday. I thought you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Sure enough I check the weather. Atlanta is suppose to be having their first white Christmas on Saturday since 1882. YES, THE YEAR 1882!

What do I do? I sat in awe for awhile. Then finally decided Saturday I would get up and pack my bags assuming that Sunday I will fly out. Sure enough they were canceling flights on Saturday. Actually most all flights other than American Airlines were canceled for the weekend.

I flew to Atlanta Sunday and landed amidst snowflakes. I got to the place where I parked my car and found a nearby hotel. It had arrived. I would be leaving for Haiti in just a few hours.

Whew... I sat alone in a hotel room amidst my thoughts.

There was still potential for riots to outbreak while I was there. There were still people dying from cholera which is found in water that I would be in contact with. The snow was falling in Atlanta at the airport. As I tried to lay down to sleep that night I kept sneezing and coughing. Apparently, I was allergic to whatever the bedding was made out of. So, I got out my sleeping pad I would be using in Haiti and my blanket and slept on the floor that night of this swanky hotel. Preparing my mind and body for the week ahead.

No comments: