Wednesday, December 17, 2008

This is great!

Today's post is compliments of one of the most amazing 11 yr. old little boys that I know.  If my mom were around him much I think she would probably say his actions and words are much the same as mine were as a child.  Oh wait.  Maybe some of mine now but that's beside the point.  

For Christmas his family is doing a recipe book of their favorite recipes for their grandmother.  Each child picked their own and wrote a short little blurb for Grandma to read.  Laughter to the point of tears and gasping of breath occurred yesterday as I was shown Christopher's recipe.  

Seriously...  I love this kid.  

I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  His mom said she typed it word for word what he was saying.  


Christopher’s Pickled Okra

I really like pickled okra. One day I decided I was gonna have me some pickled okra. So, I went to the fridge and grabbed the pickled okra jar. I had a pickled okra. Then about five minutes later, I was like, I gotta have another one. I went back to the fridge and got the pickled okra jar again. Then Jonathan walked up and I asked him if he wanted a pickled okra. He said, “Sure”. So, I got him one and I got me one. He ate his and I ate mine. I thought mine tasted odd. Then a few days later I told Mom that she needed to open up a new pickled okra jar because the other jar was empty. She asked if I ate the pepper out of the old jar. I said, “So, that’s why it tasted funny”. So, now I will make sure that the okra doesn’t have a long stem.

Christopher

1⁄2 c pickling salt
1 pint of white vinegar
1 pod of hot pepper
1 garlic bulb
1 sprig of dill weed, fresh
1 1⁄2 quarts of water

Fill clean pint jars with okra, pepper, garlic, and dill. Set aside. 

In large pot on stovetop, mix water, salt, and vinegar. Bring to boil. Pour into jars over okra and other stuff. Seal. Process the okra in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Let them sit for about a 1 week for best taste.

No comments: