Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ty and Sissy do an experiment!


I'm sure to many of you the pictured toy above looks fun and easy!  It's a McFlurry machine where kids can make their own ice cream!  My cute nephew was given one for Christmas by some family friends.  After church today we got to looking at it and I knew I was in trouble when it took 30 minutes just to put it together.  Then it was nap time so he laid down and I had to run to the store to pick up some half and half for it.  

His sister was trying to nap in the living room so we go back to my mom's bathroom to make us some ice cream.  I've learned how to do this over the past few years thanks to some smart friends of mine.  How hard can it be?  I thought...  

We gathered all needed materials.  47 parts to the hand crank ice cream machine.  Ice, salt, warm water, half and half, measuring cups.  I get the machine reassembled from it's washing only taking about 15 minutes this time.  This will be a piece of cake!  We have all our stuff spread out on mom's bathroom counter.  We measure 1/2 cup half and half and pour it in.  

Next thing I remember is Ty hollering, "SISSY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"  I look down to see the counter top is now white from 1/2 of half and half being poured on it.  The half and half is now dropping onto mom's chair and onto the floor.  We grab wash clothes and start cleaning up our mess.  What the heck just happened?  I thought I put it together correctly.  I pulled a drawer out that was underneath our spill to realize that's what caught most of the half and half, gross.  Hopefully, that won't leave too foul of a smell.  

While I'm trying to take a part and reassemble the machine I send Ty into the kitchen to try and find us some help.  I heard him in the kitchen telling his mom and my mom exactly what I said.  "Hey, we need a clean up on aisle 12!"  He comes back with no help though!  By now I'm sitting by the bathtub with this machine in the tub with it still dripping milk.  

FINALLY, I figured it out.  The piece that's suppose to stop the half and half from free flowing out...  I had put it in upside down.  Oops.  If only the picture in the instructions were more clear!  

Just to be on the safe side I take all our ice cream stuff and put it on the floor by the shower.  Ty says, "Sissy, what are you doing?"  I said, "Come on and get in the shower."  He looks at me very puzzled then gets in.  To avoid another possible half and half explosion we're going to finish our "experiment" as Ty is calling it at this point where it doesn't matter if it leaks b/c there is a drain!  

We get all the ice put around the metal cylinder and only dropped a little salt into our actual ice cream mixture.  Finally we start turning to make ice cream.  Taking turns we finally produced some ice cream, after Ty making several more trips to get us some more ice!  

It filled approximately 1/4 of the cup that is shown in the picture.  BUT we did it!  Took about another 25 minutes to clean up our mess too!  

Unfortunately, later on in the evening Ty had a little belly bubbles explosion and his mom thinks it came from the homemade ice cream.  I'm not totally convinced.  But who knows...  I'm pretty sure by tomorrow morning the ice cream maker will probably not be in the house any longer.  

All in all it was fun spending that time with him.  I love making stuff! It was fun to make some with my Ty Ty!  

Yes, I took pictures and will have those up soon.  

Please don't waste your money on one of these machines.  Instead check out something like 

Cool Craft for kids

That was a great portion of my day today. If i had the chance to do it all over again tomorrow I would in a heart beat!  Only we'd just use a baggie, not the machine!  

No comments: