Wednesday, October 21, 2009


I can just imagine what was going on in this picture. It's time to get the wifey a gift. He finds something real niiiiice. Wraps it up and gives it to her. Trying to hide his excitement he snacks while she opens it.
He's so proud of himself. While dear wifey's face screams... What the heck is this?
The eyes speak volumes as to what her tone might have sounded like.

She has two options. Put it back in her lap and turn to tell him how much she loves it! Then quickly putting it in her sock draw having no idea what it was. Or to turn to him and respond how thoughtful and to ask exactly what is it or does it do. Allowing him time to explain both what it is and the best way to use it. Which one do you think she chose?

Last year my brother and I got my mom a used laptop for Christmas. It was a huge hit! She loved it but upon opening do you know what she did with it? She gave it right back to me so I could start showing her how to use it. Through this week process I often heard these phrases, "You can do that with a computer? I never knew that! How cool! You mean I can do all that sitting from my recliner?" That last one peeked my dad's interest in the laptop! :)

What's this got to do with anything?

It's got everything to do with everything... That's what!

Ever heard about the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ? It is a free gift God offers to all who are willing to accept. Through salvation we are welcomed into the family of God for all eternity. His a visual aid for those that need that (like me).

Salvation is a gift offered to humans by God our Creator. Upon His handing of that gift into our hands we have to make a choice. Do we deny the gift and give it back or do we unwrap it to see what it looks like. If you choose to deny and give it back your life will forever be altered. If you choose to open it and receive the gift your life too will forever be altered. Once the gift is opened and received what you do with it will determine the rest of your days on earth.

Do you stare at it’s weirdness and put it down and move on with life? Do you try and figure out exactly what it is yourself? Do you store it somewhere safe so it stays clean and protected because you know it is such a valued gift? Or do you do as my mom did with her computer? Do you give it back to the One who gave it to you so you can better understand what it is you have just been given? THIS my friends is the part in life most believers fail to ever understand. Salvation is not just a get out of hell free card. It’s a life more abundant and free card. Frustratingly enough though we are never taught how to access that freedom.

I love my mom to death but had she not let my brother and I walk her through how to use what she needed on her computer. I am confident to say it would be in a box in a spare bedroom just collecting dust (like most bibles are doing in our homes of America). Thankfully she asked how to use it! Otherwise that would have been one expensive box collecting dust.



No comments: