Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lovin' it!

What fun would it be to have something that has no character?  No marks to make it unique?  Why strive to be unblemished?  Why not have your imperfections and just roll with it?  Well, here's my latest investment.  I've wanted one of these since I was a small child.  I've always thought they were sooo cool.  

Here's the short story.  I've always checked newspapers randomly and now of days the internet for people selling these cool things.  My nice car just rolled over 80,000 miles and I need it to last much longer than my current rate of travel is going to allow it.  So to take off some of my around town miles I decided to invest in that exact thing.  An around town car.  I watched this particular one on craigslist and finally had time yesterday to take two knowledgeable male friends with me to look at it.  

Now, keep in mind it took us 2 hours and 45 minutes to make it to Atlanta from Benton, TN.  But my friends were great.  We went...  they test drove b/c well...  I can't actually drive a standard.  Anyways, that's beside the point.  I actually haggled the price w/ the owner.  It was pretty fun.  One of my friends with me said "I've only met your dad once but I'm pretty sure that was him who just haggled with that guy, that was awesome!"  I had a set price and we actually came in under that price so I was pleased.  

My friends decided they didn't really want to drive it back with Atlanta traffic being as crazy as it was.  So, they were gracious enough this morning to take me back.  One of them went at 6am to go get a trailer to haul it on and we hit the rode around 8ish and got home around 5ish.  It was a full day.  We also were able to stop by a VW junkyard.  Literally, there were VW's as far as you could see.  It was like a scavenger hunt.  There were a few things my car didn't have such as seat belts, smoothly working windows, part of the back seat, etc.  Thus we went shopping.  Rather fun experience in and of itself.  Even with the extra parts I had to purchase I still came in under my set price.  

THEN!  They get it off the trailer once we get home and tell me I have to drive it now.  Believe it or not I did it and wasn't completely awful at it.  Drove around and showed some friends then drove it to church tonight!  I'm beginning to understand the phrase if you can't find it grind it!  When I got home tonight I asked one of my friends to ride around with me for a bit so he could explain a little better this whole shifting, clutching, braking, but still having to give it gas so it doesn't die and making sure you don't roll backwards down the hill (since I live in the mountains and all) thing.  My greatest issue in the car is normally if I'm drinking a coke while changing the radio have to stop one of those to answer the phone.  

Anyways...  There's my story of my new car.  It's not perfect.  The pictures don't lie.  But I want something around camp where I don't care if it gets dinged up.  Mechanically it's in decent shape with is my greatest concern.  

Hope you enjoy the pics!!






















atleast this side is nice looking! :)


My favorite parts are that it's a 1969 VW bug!  
The wheels look cool!
The colors not too bad...
and it has a CD player in it!



3 comments:

Lucy said...

Did you buy all the trash in it or did you add that yourself? I heart it though. Now if Bud would only get a VW van...

Lindsey said...

trash came with it... :) other than the DP bottle i added that one myself. Bud was with me for the 2 day adventure of getting this car. It's killing him he wants a van so bad. I've always wanted a van too but just couldn't justify the gas mileage of one. They're soo cool.

I just walked by my car though and saw where Bud has installed several of the parts we picked up for it. He's so handy! he says the next spare money he gets he'll be buying a van. He's been on the internet for 2 days now looking for one. maybe by the next time we see ya'll he'll be able to take us out in the cool van!!

The Sharpe's said...

sooooooooo cute!