Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I hate art!

Today at the Boys and Girls Club I heard my name called a lot. The kiddos had no recess at school and no outside time at the club. That is simply not a good situation. One of the times where I heard, "Miss Lindsey..." I turn around to see little 6 yr old Mr. Connor walking my way. Hands folded over his chest and he is NOT happy. His teacher tells me he has thrown three fits and he won't listen to her. I kneel to hear his side of the story. Arms folded and words borderline yelling he says, "I hate art. I hate drawing. I hate it!"

We discuss why and he just says he hates it. We talk about how at the club art is one of the things he gets to do. When he goes home he doesn't have to do art at all. All he will have to do at home is eat, sleep, play and do whatever else his mom tells him too. Absolutely NO ART!

Then we talk about what he's suppose to be drawing which was some sort of halloween picture with his family in it. Today he came in wearing a dinosaur hat that was really cute. I suggested he draw that hat and he reminds me, "but it has to have my WHOLE FAMILY in it." Then he gets an idea. "What if I draw my whole family with hats on?" I respond that I thought that would be a great idea! He walks off smiling. I walk by to check on him later and he can't draw his hat on himself so I help out with that. Later in the day he comes to show me his picture and said he made it for me...


I'll spare you the other eventful stories of the day and just share the positive one. Once again, children + no recess = bad, very bad

I'm all for investing in some ponchos and telling them to go play in the rain!

By the way for those I haven't told yet as of Monday, November 1st I'll be starting a new position as the Unit Director of the Boys and Girls Club Benton Unit. Lucy, next time you're over this way I can hook you up with some carpet ball for sure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to be great for the kids!
Love you,
mama

Lucy said...

Look at you, Miss Fancy Pants. Congratulations!

Lindsey said...

Thanks to both of you!