Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hair story!


That is not some dead Tennessee critter on my table.  

That is my hair.

My long hair.

My hair that I really liked long.

I think it looks better on my head than on the table. 

Here's the story.  

I've always had long hair.  I like it long.  My family always liked it long.  It looks best when it's long.  I can let it go curly when it's long.  Or I can straighten it when it's long and it looks fine either way.  

Then I had an aunt who had cancer.  I remember mom calling and telling me how her hair was beginning to fall out.  Then there was the day she decided to go ahead and cut it off because it just kept falling out.  Mom said that was pretty hard for her.  

Then at camp each year we have an event called Candlelighter's for children with cancer.  It's basically a free fun play day for the children and their families.  

Then I find out about this company called Locks of Love.  With 10 inches of hair they help financially disadvantaged children by creating quality hair prosthetics (as their webpage says.)

I hate to see children hurt.  

I knew I had the ability to grow long and healthy hair.  

Thus...

I grew my hair out and then cut it off.  

Mom please don't fall out of your chair or curse so loud they hear it at the front desk of your office!  

It's not my favorite look.  

But God reminded me this morning that for those children without hair...  That look is not their favorite look either.  

Perhaps if I do this again I will grow it out even longer so mine doesn't have to get so short.  

More than anything I think part of this process for me is to have a daily reminder to pray for people dealing with much harder circumstances than myself.  That's exactly what this short head of hair is going to do for awhile.  Every time I see it...  It will remind me that someone somewhere has shorter hair than me that they did not choose. 






5 comments:

Gregg said...

Hey Lindsey, wow, your hair looks great! It was beautiful long but it looks so cute and sporty short! I loved the comments you made, they really make one think on how blessed we are. It was a beautiful blog from a beautiful person!
love, rie

Anonymous said...

I like it! And I admire your giving spirit. God will surely use not only your hair in someone's life but your testimony in someone else's.

Pete and Gina Burgess said...

That 'do rocked it out in Costa Rica!
Way to go on a blessed move...

Lucy said...

I think it's precious and you'll love having it short for the summer. You look beautiful.

I feel your pain though. It takes some getting used to.

Wondering Child... said...

cute!!!