Friday, January 11, 2008

Treasures discovered

Cleaning out my office today! The paperwork has taken over. It's frightening. In the process I ran across a college graduation announcement. Due to the graciousness of my parents they allowed me to create my own. They weren't expensive, just expressive. I didn't want the normal announcement because I wanted to let folks know what was next for me in life. Graduating from A&M, then moving to Tennessee to work with a ministry.

I just smiled when I saw that announcement because I remember the excitement of not only graduating but of moving onto another chapter of life. I had no clue what to expect. All I knew was that I was sleeping on this family's couch. Getting $100 a week, reaching the lost through whatever means possible. God had put a deep desire for this ministry within my soul and I knew I had to come here. Despite the fears and anxieties of being so far from home and without much stability, so to speak of. I had no choice but to be obedient to God's leading.

I continue to rejoice that God placed the desire on my heart for this place and these people.

Psalm 119:1-8 is the verse I used in my announcement from The Message version.

"You're blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God. You're blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find Him. That's right - you don't go off on your own; you walk straight along the road he set. You, God, prescribed the right way to live; now you expect us to live it. Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set; Then i'd never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel. I thank you for speaking straight from your heart; I learn the pattern of your righteous ways. I'm going to do what you tell me to do; don't ever walk off and leave me."

Great and wonderful words those are.

It's been an interesting journey to say the least. I still don't understand it all. Not sure why I have to be so far from home. But I know God is using me in what I do. I've seen many people drive through the gates at camp as they head for know with a whole new perspective on who God is. Those are the moments I live for. Seeing others experience Him in a real and true way. It's the only experience in life that will last for eternity. The things of this world are so fleeting... When we will start to live like it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great thoughts, it is always good to look back and see where God has taken you (and taken care of you).

love you!
griff

Anonymous said...

Wow.....I also found your college announcement last week in my office. It just reminded me of what a special and unique person you are. We are so very proud of you and all that you do.
We love you forever,
mama